Sunday, August 3, 2008

Varirata. 03.08.08

Considering the tough walk to Imita Ridge yesterday, and the fact that I am planning on walking the entire Kokoda Track soon, I decided that today would be a good measure to see how I fared with two decent hit-outs in two days. So, myself and one of my good Sogeri friends did a brisk lap of Varirata.

The overnight rain had made Varirata quite greasy and the odd tree root and rock caused the walking to be cautious in some sections of the track. We firstly walked out to the bottom lookout, and then headed in a anti-clockwise direction, we followed the boundary of the park. Upon reaching the front gate, we then ducked back into the forest and completed the circuit track. This was my first time along the circuit track and it was a great little loop despite the numerous trees which had fallen across its path.

We bombed along and covered the 10kms in 4 hours, reasonably good going considering the slipperiness of some sections where the pace dropped to a crawl. Literally.

My legs were feeling okay after the two big walks over the weekend, where I covered nearly 23kms in around 9 hours. Bring on Kokoda.

No comments: